Jefferson Lab EIC Fellowships
Application for 2018 is closed. 2018 Fellowships have been awarded.
The Electron-Ion Collider Center at Jefferson Lab (EIC2@JLab) announces opportunities for graduate and post-doctoral fellowships.
These fellowships are to be awarded for a period of 1 year to fund research related to the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC). The area of research may be in theory, detector/experiment or computing, and fellows are expected to spend at least half their time during the duration of the fellowship at Jefferson Lab. Each graduate fellowship will provide the awardee’s home institution with a $11,000 stipend. For postdoctoral fellows, $30,000 will be provided. Limited travel support is also available during the fellowship period. The awardee’s home institute must agree to provide the remaining support for the awardees.
Eligible students must be enrolled full-time in a relevant doctoral program. Postdocs must have a full-time position with a university or laboratory research program of relevance. The awardees must be able to devote at least half of his/her time for the proposed research during the fellowship period. The awardees may not concurrently hold another major full-time fellowship or internship. The award is limited to 1 year.
To apply, a research plan for the duration of the fellowship must be provided according to the guidance provided below. The plan should be written by the applicant together with the university advisor and a JLab staff member acting as a sponsor. The plan should contain clear goals and deliverable to be accomplished by the end of the Fellowship. The immediate supervision of the Fellow will be undertaken by the JLab staff sponsor and the university advisor for the duration of the fellowship. The staff of EIC2@JLab will assist in guiding the Fellows.
The applications will be evaluated by a committee according to the following criteria:
- Merit and quality of proposed research
- Relevance of the proposed research to the Electron-Ion Collider
- Likelihood that the proposed research can be successfully accomplished within the Fellowship period.
- Letters of recommendation.
The following application packet is due by April 30, 2018.
- CV of the candidate
- The names of the responsible advisor and the Jefferson Lab sponsor. In case of a Jefferson Lab candidate, the advisor and the sponsor may be the same person.
- Proposed research plan as described above. Maximum 3 pages with 11 point type.
- Letter of recommendations
- One letter by the advisor in case of a graduate applicant.
- In case of a post-doc applicant: one letter by either the advisor or the sponsor and two additional letters from outside referees.
The application packet should be sent by email to email@example.com by the deadline. The selection will be made and awards announced by June 15, 2018. The start date of the fellowship is flexible; it can start immediately on annoucement or be delayed up to November 15, 2018 by mutual agreement.
Inquiries should be directed to those listed below.
EIC2@JLab Director: Rik Yoshida (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Amber Boehnlein (email@example.com)
Jianwei Qiu (firstname.lastname@example.org)